Getting a job is intricate process in today’s competitive job market and it requires extraordinary personality. Candidates become frustrate in job searching process when they do not get the job even though they are qualified. They apply for many jobs and never hear from their employer. In present situation,Candidates have to excel in particular skills to attract employers for selection in company. Many times, candidates possess numerous skills but they are rejected. It is important to know the reasons for job rejection to improve self and grab job opportunities as they arise.
There are common reasons that employers reject a candidate which are mentioned below: Working closely with search consultant guarantees that these factors will not interfere during the interview process.
- Lack of research:It is one of the reason for failure in getting suitable job. It is natural when candidates havenot learned about the job, company or industry prior to the interview, they are rejected in recruitment process. In present technical environment, the Internet facilities enables to research the company. In information age, it always demonstrations if candidates do not have updated knowledge about company, then others will take advantage and there are greater chances of job refection.
- Uncertain about opportunity:In this technical business climate, all multinational companies prefer candidates who are passionate and enthusiastic about joining their team. Candidates coming across as egotistical or indecisive will be overshadowed by others who bring higher levels of enthusiasm. Employers can be self-centred, candidates cannot show such emotions in job environment.
- Appearance: It is well recognized that when candidates are appearing for job interview, they must have good appearance. Because first impressions are quickly made in the first three to five minutes. It is always recommended by experts that candidates must be properly dressed according to dress code of companies. Many candidates do not consider their appearance and they have been refused in job selection.
- Not having questions to ask: It is observed that candidates are not ready to ask questions during recruitment process whenever necessary. Experts recommend that candidates must prepare a list of questions in advance. Asking questions shows their interest in the company and the position.
- Not readily available answers:Candidates sometimes do not have readymade answers for questions asked by interviewer. To increase the chances of selection, candidates must anticipate and rehearse answers to tough questions about their educational background and other employment related issues such as a recent termination or an employment gap. Practicing with their spouse or friend before the interview. It will help them to frame intellectual answers.
- Too much humility:Candidates are sometimes unenthusiastic to describe their accomplishments. It will increase the chances of job denial.
- Handling salary issues incompetently: Candidates often do not negotiate remuneration with employer if asked. The best to answer, "I'm sure an offer would be based upon my background and experience" to keep conversation of money a lower priority primarily.
- Lack of career direction: Companies appoint for specific position and skills in present corporate scenario Candidates must know which position in company is suitable for them.
- Job shopping. It is recommended that candidates must not waste valuable time of employers going to an interview unless they are serious about considering another opportunity. Employer can reject candidates if they are not sincere about job.
- Incomplete application: Candidates have been rejected if they do not provide all the information required on the job application.
- Disorganized resume: Sometimes candidates do not mention skills in organized way and skills and accomplishments are not related to target job.
- Budget issues caused cancellation or revision of the job: Sometimes many issues impacted the ability to fund this job. Perhaps sales or profits dropped, a market opportunity (or a crisis) developed, or something else unexpected happened. Consequently, the employer decided they did not want to spend the money to have someone do the job specified in the job description. So, they cancelled the job or changed it in some other way that disqualified applicant.
- Other candidate is a better networker: Employer have to choose between two equally well-qualified and impressive people.
- References does not support candidate: Often in the hiring process, references can do not support in getting job and they can end the opportunity very quickly.
It has been observed that sometimes, external things that have not been related to candidate’s personality may hinder in the job offer or completely disrupt the hiring process. Due to advanced technology, there are chances of rejection. But candidates must not take it personally instead do efforts to improve themselves.
Reviewing above factors, it is apparent that often, there are a number of factors responsible for rejection such as timing, circumstances, office politics and budgets. Candidates can find solution of job refusal by fixing their mistakes and coping with present environment. It is a fact that CV should be a representative of candidate’s skills, experience and give an overall impression of him as a person. As employer receives job applications in bulk therefore candidates must make sure that their CV has a simple layout, free from grammatical or spelling errors so that employer can easy read and select for job. Poorly spelled applications will give the impression that applicants can be neglectful or do not really care about the job.